Going out for brunch is the best. Breakfast restaurants always have fresh coffee brewing, delicious mimosas and everything from savory eggs benedict to sweet treats like waffles and pancakes.
While I’m always tempted to get the banana bread french toast with a mound of whipped cream or the chocolate chip buttermilk pancakes drenched in syrup, I typically never do because I always leave feeling like I have a nasty hangover: bloated and sluggish!
Restaurant foods have so much sugar in them, especially the sweet ones like waffles, french toast and pancakes. So whenever I’m craving that sort of thing, I always make it at home because I can control how much and what kind of sugar I’m putting in.
Anyone who knows me well knows that lemon is my favorite dessert flavor ever! Lemon cake, lemon cookies, lemon squares, lemon cheesecake… and now lemon PANCAKES!!!
These little suckers are fricken’ awesome! Not only are they refined sugar-free, they’re also 100% whole wheat and contain as much protein per serving as 2 eggs. Not to mention their extreme fluffiness and moistness, the tang from the lemons and added sweetness from the blueberries… Just go make them!
Perfect topped with maple syrup, blueberry jam (or any kind of jam), fresh fruit, lemon yogurt (yes, more lemon) or just totally plain.
Let me know how you like them by leaving a comment and rating below!
Whole Wheat Lemon Blueberry Pancakes
NUTRITION FACTS: (per 3 mini pancakes) Calories: 230 Total Fat: 3.8g Saturated Fat: 1.5g Polyunsaturated Fat: 0.3g Monounsaturated Fat: 0.7g Cholesterol: 55mg Sodium: 240mg Potassium: 146mg Total Carbohydrates: 37.5g Dietary Fiber: 4g Sugars: 17g Protein: 10g
- 1 cup white whole wheat flour
- 3/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- Pinch sea salt
- 3/4 cup plain, full fat Greek yogurt
- 2 tbsp fresh squeezed lemon juice
- Zest from half a large lemon
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ⅔ cup almond milk
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 3/4 cup fresh, or slightly thawed frozen blueberries, coated with flour (so they don't sink to the bottom of the batter)
- Step 1 Heat a large skillet over medium heat and grease with extra-virgin olive oil or coconut oil.
- Step 2 In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Step 3 In another bowl, combine the Greek yogurt, lemon juice, lemon zest, maple syrup, vanilla extract and almond milk together. Beat in an egg until well incorporated.
- Step 4 Stir wet ingredients into dry ingredients and mix until just combined. Overmixing will result in less fluffy pancakes. Carefully fold in blueberries.
- Step 5 Scoop a bit of the batter onto the preheated skillet to form mini pancakes, about 6 inches in diameter. If batter is too thick, spread the batter a bit to flatten the pancakes and help them cook more thoroughly. When bubbles begin to appear on the surface, flip carefully and cook for another 1 to 2 minutes on the underside.
- Step 6 Transfer to a baking sheet or platter and keep in a warm oven until ready to serve.
- Step 7 Serve with maple syrup and extra blueberries, if desired.
Recipe adapted from: Life Made Sweeter’s Fluffy Blueberry Lemon Pancakes.