When I first started talking about this website, Ashton insisted that I have a section called “Bro Meals” with super simple, quick recipes that any guy could make. He even enthusiastically said, “If you post recipes like that, even I could cook them!!” Not sure why he’d need to cook since his amazing wife cooks for him every night…
Regardless, it gave me a great idea for a series of recipes that are not only fast and easy to whip up, but also super budget friendly. I want people to know that eating healthy can be cheaper than going through the fast food drive-thru, and A LOT healthier.
So check it out…
- Veggies from the peppers and onions
- Carbohydrates from the brown rice
- Protein from the ground turkey
- of active preparation time
- 40 minutes of cook time
- Calories – 374
- Fat – 14.6g
- Fiber – 8g
- Sugar – 10g
- Protein – 21g
- $15.67/family of four
So next time you’re thinking of going through the drive-thru, choose this as a healthier, and believe it or not, cheaper option than the drive-thru.
Don’t forget to rate it and let me know what you think in the comments section below.
Super Simple Stuffed Peppers
NUTRITION FACTS: (per serving) Calories: 374 Total Fat: 14.6g Saturated Fat: 3.3g Polyunsaturated Fat: 0.5g Monounsaturated Fat: 2.5g Cholesterol: 60mg Sodium: 1,190mg Potassium: 117mg Total Carbohydrates: 39g Dietary Fiber: 8g Sugar: 10g Protein: 21g
- 4 bell peppers (any color)
- 1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- ½ large yellow onion, chopped
- 3/4 lb ground turkey thigh
- ½ tsp sea salt
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 cup brown rice, cooked (approx. ⅓ cup uncooked)
- 1 - 25oz jar pasta sauce (preferably a kind with no sugar added)
- Step 1 Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Step 2 Cut the tops off the bell peppers and scoop out the seeds with a spoon. Gently poke 4 tiny holes in the bottom of each pepper to help let juices drain.
- Step 3 Add the 4 peppers to a large pot of boiling water and cook for about 5 minutes, until just softened. Set aside in a 9×9 baking dish.
- Step 4 In a large sauté pan over medium heat, add the olive oil and onions. Stir and cook until fragrant and onions begin to soften
- Step 5 Add in the ground turkey and cook until meat is browned.
- Step 6 Add in the brown rice, pasta sauce, salt and garlic powder, stirring until everything is combined. Allow to simmer for a few minutes before removing from heat.
- Step 7 Carefully spoon meat mixture into bell peppers, filling to heaping.
- Step 8 Bake for 30 minutes.