A few weeks ago when we decided to stay in San Francisco for the holidays, I told Ashton that I was going to cook a vegan Thanksgiving dinner for us. No turkey. No turkey gravy. No butter, cream, whipped cream… You can imagine how well this went over. He didn’t understand how it could be Thanksgiving without turkey and he was SUPER concerned about the pumpkin pie and whipped cream. The response basically came down to, “No. I don’t want to do that” and he ended up being saved when friends invited us over to their house for Thanksgiving dinner.
But I’m pushing my vegan-ish theme on him anyways with this dessert, and even though it’s not exactly pumpkin pie (and it does have eggs), it’s along the same lines plus, I wanted to share something different with you all. I can guarantee he won’t even realize it’s vegan.
Please don’t be intimidated by making your own crust from scratch. It’s so, so easy and this crust is so forgiving. You can easily patch it up if it rips.
This vegan Pumpkin Tart is sweetened with maple syrup and coconut sugar and I’ve used white whole wheat flour in the recipe to replace the usual processed, bleached white flour that contains no nutritional value at all. The coconut milk has replaced traditional evaporated milk, and coconut oil in place of butter.
Top with your favorite coconut whipped cream (to keep it vegan) and enjoy either warmed up or at room temperature. NOTE: You can make this dessert the day before.
Let me know what you think and tag all of your Eaton recipes on social media using #EatonGood.
Pumpkin Tart with Praline Topping
NUTRITION FACTS (per 1 piece) Calories: 403 Total Fat: 31g Saturated Fat: 18.6g Polyunsaturated Fat: 3.4g Monounsaturated Fat: 6.4g Cholesterol: 31mg Sodium: 17.3mg Potassium: 72.5mg Total Carbohydrates: 27.5g Dietary Fiber: 4.2g Sugars: 15g Protein: 5g
- for crust:
- 1.5 cups white whole wheat flour
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 cup coconut oil
- 5-8 tbsp ice water
- for filling:
- 1 (15 oz) can pumpkin, unsweetened (not pumpkin pie filling)
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup canned full-fat coconut milk
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1.5 tsp cinnamon
- 3/4 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- for praline topping:
- 2 tbsp white whole wheat flour
- 1/3 cup coconut sugar
- 6 tbsp coconut oil
- 1.5 cups roughly chopped pecans
- Step 1 Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Step 2 Start by making the crust. In a large bowl, mix the flour and salt together. Add the coconut oil, taking a fork to cut it into the flour mixture. It should still be dry with small chunks of coconut oil in it when you’re done.
- Step 3 Next add the ice cold water, 2 tablespoons at a time, gently mixing between each addition. Continue to add cold water until it begins to come together and form a dough.
- Step 4 Use your hands to gently knead the dough in the bowl and gather any loose bits of flour. Transfer to a well-floured surface and form into a disc.
- Step 5 Sprinkle flour on the top of the dough and using a rolling pin, roll out in a circle until about 1/8 inch thick.
- Step 6 Once it’s at the desired thickness, gently drape one end of the dough over your rolling pin and roll it 3/4 of the way up, carefully pick it up and unroll it over your tart pan.* It’s forgiving so if it cracks, grab a spare piece and patch it up.
- Step 7 Form it to your tart pan, push it up the sides and cut away the excess overhang. Place in the fridge until you’re ready to pour in the filling.
- Step 8 To make the filling, put all ingredients, except the cornstarch, into a bowl and whisk until totally incorporated. Add the cornstarch and mix again.
- Step 9 Pour into prepared crust and place in the oven to bake for 15 minutes.
- Step 10 After it’s been baking for 15 minutes, reduce temperature to 375 degrees and bake again for another 30 minutes.
- Step 11 While the tart bakes, begin making the topping by adding the flour, coconut sugar and coconut oil into a bowl and blend together. Add in the chopped pecans and mix until everything is incorporated. It will look like wet sand.
- Step 12 Once 30 minutes is up, remove the tart from the oven and evenly sprinkle the praline topping overtop of the pumpkin tart. Place back in the oven and continue baking for an additional 15 minutes or until pie is set and topping is caramelized.
- Step 13 Serve warm or at room temperature with your favorite coconut whipped cream topping.
- Step 14 *If you don’t have a tart pan, you can also use a springform pan, just don’t push the crust all the way up the edges, just about an inch or so.