Post workout, on-the-go, high protein snacks were ALWAYS my downfall when I was a professional athlete. While I made it a priority to eat breakfast before I went to practice, I was rarely organized enough to pack a take-to-go, post workout snack to get in the carbs and protein I needed immediately after a hard session. When I did spare 5 minutes, Greek yogurt, berries and muesli were my go-to, but that was not a great snack during the really warm summer months or when we were away from home at training camps or competitions (which was a lot!).
So when Lottie (the creator of the food blog for athletes, Running On Veggies) came to San Francisco to visit, we started brainstorming some solutions for this and came up with these unbelievably delicious Power Oat Cups. The cool part is, not only are they a great post workout snack, they’re also a great on-the-go breakfast option because I know a lot of people don’t eat breakfast, which is an incredibly bad habit (see this post for details).
These Power Oat Cups are basically oatmeal in a muffin; oats, cinnamon, dates, almond milk, and we added Now Sports Organic Vanilla Pea Protein Powder to get the protein content up and make it a more balanced breakfast and snack. One cup has basically as much protein as an egg with minimal sugar. We also came up with FIVE different flavor variations because we couldn’t settle on just one:
Chocolate Chip Peanut Butter
Our personal favs are the Cranberry Orange and the Chocolate Chip Peanut Butter (of course). This recipe makes 12 muffins in total and we seriously recommend making two different flavors. Just make the base recipe, split it in half, and pick your two flavors.
As always, let me know how you liked the recipe, and tag your Power Oat Cups on social with #EatonGood.
Power Oat Cups
NUTRITION FACTS (per 1 muffin) Calories: 130 Total Fat: 2.7g Saturated Fat: 0g Polyunsaturated Fat: 0.7g Monounsaturated Fat: 0.7g Cholesterol: 0mg Sodium: 147mg Potassium: 36.5mg Total Carbohydrate: 22.3g Dietary Fiber: 3g Sugars: 3.7g Protein: 5.5g
- BASE RECIPE
- 4 cups Now Foods Organic Rolled Oats
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 cup Now Foods Date Sugar
- 1/2 cup Now Sports Organic Vanilla Pea Protein powder
- 2 1/4 cups almond milk, unsweetened
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup apple sauce, unsweetened
- for CHOCOLATE CHIP PEANUT BUTTER:
- 1/4 cup peanut butter
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips (plus more for topping)
- for CRANBERRY ORANGE:
- 2 tsp orange zest (approx. 1/2 orange)
- 2 tbsp fresh squeezed orange juice
- 1/2 cup cranberries
- Now Foods Raw Pecans, for topping
- for LEMON BLUEBERRY:
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 3 tbsp fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 1/2 cup blueberries
- Now Foods Raw Almonds (sliced), for topping
- for CARROT CAKE:
- 1/2 cup grated carrots
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/2 cup Now Foods Shredded Coconut (unsweetened)
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- for APPLE CINNAMON:
- 2 cups peeled and diced apples
- Now Foods Raw Walnuts, for topping
- Step 1 Preheat oven to 375 degrees F and great or spray a muffin pan with coconut oil.
- Step 2 Mix all the base ingredients together in a large bowl, plus the extra ingredients for whatever floor you’re making. If you want to make two flavors, split the the batter in half and split the flavor ingredients in half to make 6 of each flavor.
- Step 3 Scoop into muffin tin so the batter is level with the top of the pan.
- Step 4 Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Step 5 Store in the fridge for up to 5 days, and in the freezer for longer.
Thank you Now Foods for sponsoring this post. I love working with brands that I use and believe in.