I’m pretty sure the Lettuce Chicken Wraps have to be the most ordered item off the PF Chang’s menu. We love them, but know they’re probably loaded with added sugar. So I wanted to try recreating them at home using all natural ingredients.
If I want to stick to eating healthy, a really important thing for me is to be excited about what I’m eating. If I make something half-assed for lunch, or a meal that doesn’t float my boat for dinner, I typically end up stuffing my face with something unhealthy later because I’m totally unsatisfied. I go into more detail about that HERE.
But seriously! Sometimes after I’ve just finished eating dinner and as I’m cleaning up, I’ll be in the pantry, shovelling handfuls of chocolate chips followed by a spoonful of peanut butter in my mouth. Does anyone else do this or am I the only one?! It’s so annoying!!
So that’s what this recipe is all about, giving you a healthy, low carb, high protein dinner that tastes freakin’ DELICIOUS!
My favorite thing about this recipe is the balance of sweet and spicy. First, you taste the sweetness of the maple syrup, and then you get a kick of spice from the sriracha. The ginger also adds such a refreshing flavor at the end, and then the crunch… THE CRUNCH! It’s not just mushy meat. The water chestnuts, cashews and fresh crunchy romaine lettuce hearts add such a crispness to every bite.
Seriously. Make this. TONIGHT!
Let me know how you liked it by leaving a comment and rating this recipe below.
Lettuce Chicken Wraps
NUTRITION FACTS: (per 1/4 recipe) Calories: 380 Total Fat: 19g Saturated Fat: 4.2g Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g Monounsaturated Fat: 4.5g Cholesterol: 95mg Sodium: 665mg Potassium: 365mg Total Carbohydrates: 28g Dietary Fiber: 3.6g Sugars: 12.5g Protein: 25g
- 1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 lb. ground chicken
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1.5 tbsp maple syrup
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp rice vinegar
- 1 tbsp ginger, finely grated (I used a zesting grater)
- 1 tsp sriracha
- 1 - 8oz can water chestnuts, chopped
- ½ tsp sea salt
- ¼ cup cashew halves
- Romaine lettuce hearts
- Step 1 Heat olive oil in pan over medium heat and add the ground chicken, cooking for about 5 minutes before adding the onions and garlic. Turn heat up to medium high.
- Step 2 Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine the maple syrup, soy sauce, rice vinegar, ginger and sriracha, whisking well.
- Step 3 Continue cooking the chicken/onion mixture, breaking the chicken up into little pieces.
- Step 4 Once it’s cooked through, the onions are soft and translucent, and the juices let off by the onions and chicken has completely evaporated, turn the heat down to medium and stir the sauce into the meat mixture.
- Step 5 Stir to combine and allow to cook for a couple of minutes before adding in the water chestnuts. Sprinkle with salt and mix to combine.
- Step 6 To serve, spoon several tablespoons of mixture into center of a lettuce leaf, taco-style and sprinkle cashews on top.