Get it while the berries are hot my friends! Summer is almost over (HUGE sad face) and that means all the delicious, berries and other summer fruit will start costing us a frickin’ fortune soon. Last winter, Ashton came home with a small clamshell of blueberries because he was “craving them.” You guys…He paid $6.99 for one of those little plastic containers of blueberries, which pretty much holds so few that I could shove them all in my mouth at once! When I was basically like, “WTF, Ash?!” he says, “Is that a lot??” You can tell who does the grocery shopping in our house. Point is, enjoy the berries.
So about a week ago, I came home in the mood for fruit pizza to use up my in season, on sale berries. I started messing around with a bunch of ingredients, and out came this magical pizza. I really wanted to make it super healthy and totally plant-based, and have always been curious about making a cashew cream cheese.
You guys, this fruit pizza is basically oatmeal. It’s your breakfast for tomorrow. Yes, I’m being 100% serious. No, I’m not shitting you. It’s literally made of the exact same stuff that you’d make a bowl of oatmeal out of:
It’s also perfect for anyone who can’t eat gluten, dairy, refined sugar, or those who just want dessert like Ashton wants a $6.99 pint of blueberries in the middle of winter, but hates the guilt that comes afterward. This is 100% guilt-free (just don’t eat the whole pie).
I will note, if I’ve learned anything about using healthier ingredients in place of not so healthy ones, it’s that you can’t always make things made out of plants have the exact same texture as things made out of processed sugars, flours and butters. This cream cheese softens and hardens depending on if it’s at room temperature or in the fridge because of the coconut oil in it. So before serving, allow it to sit on the counter for a bit if you don’t like the slightly hardened “cream cheese” texture.
Happy dessert (and breakfast)!! 🙂 Let me know how you liked it by rating this recipe and commenting below!
End of Summer Fruit Pizza
NUTRITION FACTS: (per slice) Calories: 435 Total Fat: 35.5g Saturated Fat: 15.3g Polyunsaturated Fat: 0.2g Monounsaturated Fat: 0.2g Cholesterol: 0mg Sodium: 0.2mg Potassium: 150mg Total Carbohydrates: 22g Dietary Fiber: 4.5g Sugars: 8.5g Protein: 9.5g
- for crust:
- 3/4 cup gluten-free oat flour (or regular if not gluten sensitive)
- 3/4 cup raw almonds
- pinch of sea salt
- 3 tbsp coconut sugar
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
- for cream cheese:
- 1.5 cups raw cashews, soaked
- zest of 1 lemon
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
- for topping:
- strawberries, blueberries, blackberries, kiwi or any other fruit you like
- Step 1 To soak cashews, pour them in a bowl covered with water and place in the fridge for at least 6 hours. If you want to speed this process up, boil some water to pour overtop. As soon as it cools, dump out the water and cover with more hot water. You can soak them in an hour this way.
- Step 2 Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and line the bottom of a 9 inch springform cheesecake pan with parchment paper. If you don’t have a springform pan, you can use an 8×8 pan also.
- Step 3 Add flour, almonds, salt and coconut sugar to a food processor and process on high until almonds are totally broken up and the mixture is in a fine powder.
- Step 4 Add the coconut oil and pulse and the mixture starts to come together and sticks when squeezed between two fingers. If it’s not sticking well, add a bit more coconut oil.
- Step 5 Pour the mixture into the pan and press down firmly into an even layer.
- Step 6 Bake for 15-20 minutes or until fragrant and the edges start to turn light brown.
- Step 7 To make the cream cheese, place all the ingredients into a high-powered blender. Since we want it to be thick, we can’t add too much liquid so I’m not going to lie, this is kind of a pain in the ass to make. You have to keep pushing it down and blending, pushing it down and blending. But it will eventually turn into a thick paste.
- Step 8 Once the crust is totally cooled, spread the cream cheese frosting on the crust and then top with your favorite fruit.
- Step 9 Store covered, in the fridge for up to 3 days. Pull out at least 15 minutes in advance of serving it.